Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stay classy, Afghanistan!


So before I left from Afghanistan, I had a company tell me that they wanted to fly me out to Cali to meet me and interview me for a job. It's no lie, I had been perusing job postings because of the looming fact that when it was time for me to return my job in Suffolk wouldn't be there anymore due to government budget cuts. However, my company assured me I would have a job....somewhere....doing something....

That being said (and erroring on the side of caution) I thought it best to seek employment in the event that the promise was worth the paper it was written on. I stumbled across a job posting for a Sys Admin in the DC area and answered the ad. I got a response that they were interested in me.

After returning to the states on leave, I was contacted by them and they told me that the job wouldnt be there when I came back after my year tour. I jokingly told them if they threw enough money at me I'd stay and not go back. They asked how much and I threw a number out. They said that "It was in the realm of possibilities." Flash forward a week I find myself interviewing and the next day accepting their job offer. I was not going back to Afghanistan!

I had planned in the eventuality that this might happen, prepping my stuff in the sandbox to be shipped back and leaving a 100 dollar bill to ship the stuff back. I contacted my friends there and they arranged to ship everything back. Bought a new car, my wife and I found a new place to live and we'll be moved in next month. What a whirlwind!

I tried to be the bigger man and attempted to leave my company gracefully giving them notice etc...but it got a little ugly. There was something that had happened between them and another employee who I considered a good friend that left a bad taste in my mouth anyway, so there was no love lost between us.

In the meantime, I get to stay in the states with my family, got a new car and place to live out of the deal and a decent job with a decent salary. I don't know how much more posting I'll do on the blog, but this is TTFN (ta ta for now)!

No comments:

Post a Comment